10 Things To Know For Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. HILLARY CLINTON TO ANNOUNCE PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN ON SUNDAY
The former first lady will launch her candidacy with an online video posted on social media. She'll then make stops in key early voting states, including Iowa and New Hampshire.
2. HOW THE U.S., CUBA CAN MAKE HISTORY
Obama and Raul Castro are expected to meet at a summit in Panama, marking a historic moment for two countries seeking to restore ties they abandoned decades ago.
3. LAUREN HILL DIES AFTER FIGHTING TUMOR TO PLAY COLLEGE HOOPS
The Ohio university freshman, who was 19, was determined to not let her cancer diagnosis dictate her final days and the NCAA moved up her team's season opener to get her in a game.
4. PAKISTANI LAWMAKERS VOTE TO STAY OUT OF YEMEN CONFLICT
Pakistan's parliament instead adopts a resolution calling on the warring parties to resolve the conflict through peaceful dialogue.
5. 'I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT IN MY LIFE'
A large tornado hits the tiny northern Illinois town of Fairdale, killing one person, injuring seven and sweeping homes off their foundations.
6. NORTH CHARLESTON CHANGED POLICE TACTICS BEFORE SHOOTING
As the population grew and crime went up, police were given a mandate to more aggressively fight crime in the South Carolina city, a blitz that upset many black residents.
7. LATEST GIZMO FROM APPLE DEBUTS
From Beijing to Paris to San Francisco, the Apple Watch makes its debut with customers invited to try them on in stores and order them online.
8. HOW RECYCLED SOAP CAN SAVE LIVES
A nonprofit gathers half-used bars of soap from hotels and refashions them into new bars for developing countries, where better hygiene can be life-saving.
9. WHAT THE STAR OF 'MAD MEN' WAS ACCUSED OF
Jon Hamm took part in a violent college hazing in 1990 at the University of Texas that led to criminal charges and the frat disbanding, according to court and school records.
10. WHO IS BREAKING OUT AT GOLF'S FIRST MAJOR
Jordan Spieth flirts with the major championship scoring record at the Masters, shooting an 8-under 64 and taking a three-shot lead heading into the second round.