2013 Lafayette Mardi Gras Barricade Schedule
There's many unique things about South Louisiana, one of those being Mardi Gras problems. Like, when are the barricades going up? Look no further my friends and behold, the 3013 Mardi Gras barricade schedule!
- Thursday, January 31 - 8:00 a.m. - Public Works (PW) will place barricades at the beginning of the parade route (Downtown area). Placement starts at the Jefferson/Simcoe St. intersection and continues along the route up to the Vermilion/Johnston St. intersection.
- Friday, February 1 - 8:00 a.m. -Barricade placement begins at Vermilion/Johnston St. intersection, continues down Johnston St. to N. College (Albertson's/Cici's Pizza shopping center) and then heads up N. College to the UL entrance at Reinhardt Dr. Barricades will be placed to allow "turn lanes" and cross-overs at the major intersections along Johnston St. and N. College Drive.
- Saturday, February 2 - 6:30 p.m. - PW crews move the barricades to the sides of the roads and clean up litter and debris along the route.
- Thursday, February 7 - 8:00 a.m. - PW crews place barricades from sides of the road back along the "Downtown" parade route up to Johnston St.
- Friday, February 8 - 8:00 a.m. - PW crews place barricades from the sides of the road back along the "Johnston/N. College" parade route.
- Saturday, February 9 - 6:30 p.m. - PW crews clean up litter and debris along the parade route. Barricades stay in place.
- Tuesday, February 12 - MARDI GRAS DAY - 2:00 p.m. - Crews move barricades from the route to the sides of the roads.
- Tuesday, February 12 - 11:00 p.m. until ... - Crews clean up litter and debris along the parade route and adjacent areas.
- Wednesday, February 13 - No work for Public Works Operations Streets and Drainage crews.
- Thursday, February 14 and Friday, February 15 - 7:00 am - PW crews pick up barricades from the Mardi Gras route and return them to the PW yard on Dorset St.
Other information about the parade route and Public
Works operations during the Mardi Gras season:
The parade route is 3.9 miles long.
LCG places approximately 5,500 barricades along the route and adjacent areas for crowd control and safety reasons.
This year's parade route is not changing due to any ongoing construction projects and will be the same as in previous years.