Abbeville Fire Under Investigation
At approximately 2:00am today Abbeville firefighters responded to a house fire at 205 Fifth Street. Once they brought the fire under control they discovered 48 year old Stephen Harbst in one of the rooms. Harbst was unresponsive and brought to Abbeville General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
It's been determined the fire started in the living room where investigators found the remains of a candle and a Coleman camp stove. Candles were found in other rooms of the home. There was no electrical service to the home and few furnishings were found.
Cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Louisiana State Fire Marshall.