Acadiana Residents Warned By BBB of Scam Microsoft Repair Calls
Acadiana's Better Business Bureau warns they have received a number of calls regarding a scam involving theft of computer information. According to the BBB scammers have been calling people and claiming to be from Microsoft and asking for access to computers to repair and "clean them up". If access is given to the scammer personal banking information can be taken and viruses, worms or key-trackers can be installed. Installation of key-trackers allows information concerning all your on-line transactions to be sent to the scammer.
The Acadiana Better Business Bureau offers these tips to protect your computer.
- Never allow anyone you do not know and trust to have remote access to your computer.
- Know who you're dealing with.
- Use anti-virus and anti-spyware software, as well as a firewall and update them regularly.
- Protect your passwords. Keep them in a secure place and out of plain view.
- Learn who to contact if something goes wrong online.