Accidental Lafayette Fire Destroys Apartment
At 2:20 this afternoon Lafayette Firefighters were called out to a fire at an apartment at 110 Rue Royale off of Pont Des Mouton Road. The blaze was brought under control within 15 minutes but the apartment sustained heavy fire and smoke damage.
Tinisha Williams, her two children, her mother and her sister were in the apartment when the fire started but all of them manage to escape. Williams' sister was taken to a local hospital and evaluated for breathing problems.
Investigators determined that the fire started in the kitchen. Food was being fried and the grease ignited. The fire quickly spread to other areas of the apartment.
The fire was rule accidental. The occupants of the apartment lost all of their belongings.