Alcoa Leads The Way On Positive Day – Acadiana Business Index
- Alcoa kicked off earnings season with its quarterly results yesterday evening. The aluminum company posted better than expected earnings. Alcoa up 6%.
In economic news,
- The cost of goods imported into the U.S. in March posted its largest gain in nearly a year, as petroleum prices jumped.
- And, the U.S. Treasury Department said that, for the first six months of fiscal 2012, the government spent $779 billion more than it collected.
In corporate news,
- Nokia plunged almost 16% after it warned that competition, particularly in India, the Middle East, Africa and China, would hit its first-quarter performance.
- Light sweet crude settled at $102.70 a barrel.
- And, gold closed at $1,659 an ounce.