An Up-And-Down Day On Wall Street Finishes Positive: Acadiana Business Index
Stocks whipped from positive to negative territory throughout the day even as storm clouds are forming over the European Union summit this weekend to purportedly solve all of the Continent's problems. Mark Lasseigne has more on today's Acadiana Business Index.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 37 points to 11,542.
- In economic news, the Labor Department said 403,000 Americans filed new claims for unemployment benefits last week.
- While the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia's index of business activity showed signs of a rebound in the mid-Atlantic.
- Dow component American Express reported earnings that exceeded expectations, boosted by record levels of spending by card holders. Shares gained 0.1% to $49.49.
- And, Fitch upgraded its credit rating on Ford, citing strong financial performance and continued debt reduction so far this year. F up 1.2% to 11.70
- Crude oil prices ended an erratic day lower, at $85.30 a barrel.
- And Gold slipped to $1,613 an ounce.