BARCELONA, Spain (AP) -- The Latest on the Barcelona attack (all times local):

9:55 p.m.

The interior chief for Spain's Catalonia region says three days of mourning have been declared to honor the victims of the van attack that killed 13 people in Barcelona.

Interior Department chief Joaquim Forn says the death toll could increase since at least 15 of the 100 people thought to have been injured in the attack were hurt badly.

Senior police official Josep Lluis Trapero says the vand driving up onto a sidewalk and swerving among pedestrians in a crowded area was "clearly a terror attack intended to kill as many people as possible."

Trapero says the two suspects in custody were directly linked to the attack, "but that doesn't mean that either were the author of the attack."


10:40 p.m.

The government in Spain's Catalonia region has revised the death toll from the van attack in Barcelona back up to 13.

The regional interior department said late Thursday that 15 people were seriously injured in the attack at the central Las Ramblas district.

Another 23 were moderately wounded and 42 people were lightly wounded.

The injured are being cared for at various hospitals.

Catalonia's regional president, Carles Puigdemont, tells Barcelona broadcaster TV3: "Our priority is to save lives. And our second priority is the police investigation, to find the people responsible of this attack and anyone who has helped them directly or indirectly."


10:20 p.m.

Top officials in Belgium have sent wishes of solidarity to the victims of the van attack in Barcelona, including one Belgian.

Prime Minister Charles Michel tweeted that "no barbaric act will undermine the power and resilience of our ally."

Foreign Minister Didier Reynders noted that one Belgian national had been killed in the attack, and he sent his government's condolences to the victim's family.

Belgian federal police, whose officers have been working extra duties as the country has been on high alert for more than a year, also said that "our thoughts are with the people of Barcelona and all our Spanish emergency services colleagues."

Greece's foreign ministry says a Greek woman has been injured in the van attack in Barcelona. It didn't say how severe the woman's injuries are.


9:40 p.m.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the van attack in Barcelona that officials say killed 12 people and injured many others.

A statement carried by the extremist group's media arm — the Aamaq news agency — says Thursday's attack was carried out by "soldiers of the Islamic State."

It says the attack was in response to IS calls for its followers to target countries participating in the coalition trying to drive the extremist group from Syria and Iraq.

The statement provided no further details about the attackers.


9:25 p.m.

The police force for Spain's Catalonia region says a car knocked down two police officers at a traffic checkpoint in Barcelona.

The Mossos d'Esquadra force did not indicate if the incident was related to the van attack in the city's Las Ramblas district on Thursday that left 12 people dead and dozens injured.

Barcelona police later said in a tweet that the car and its driver were intercepted about 10 kilometers (6 miles) outside of the downtown area where the original attack happened.

Local media reports said a white Ford Focus ran over the officers and that a person from the car was shot and killed by regional troopers.

Neither the city nor regional police have said whether a suspect was shot.


9:15 p.m.

The president of Spain's Catalonia region says police have arrested two people in the van attack in Barcelona's bustling Las Ramblas district.

Carles Puigdemont also gave updated casualty figures during a brief news conference Thursday night.

Puigdemont says 12 people are confirmed dead and at least 80 have been hospitalized since the van jumped a sidewalk and swerved through a busy pedestrian area.

The region's interior minister had tweeted earlier that 13 people had died in the attack.

Barcelona Mayor Ada Colau says a moment of silence will be held in the city's main square at noon Friday "to show that we are not scared and we are more united that ever."


International news outlets report at least 13 people were killed in Barcelona as a van plowed into a crowd in the city's Las Ramblas district.

Law enforcement and first responders are scrambling to treat people who were plowed down by a van in Barcelona at approximately 10 a.m. local time.

Police in Barcelona say the incident was a terrorist attack.

Some sources say the perpetrators maybe holed up in a restaurant or bar in the tourist area of the town.