Brandon Scott Lavergne Wants A Gag Order
Convicted murderer Brandon Scott Lavergne wants a gag order against District Attorney Mike Harson's office. Lavergne asked a state judge to do this until a ruling has been made on his appeal. Lavergne is appealing his guilty plea and life sentence for the deaths of UL Lafayette student Mickey Shunick last year and Lisa Pate in 1999.
Our news partners at KATC say documents filed on January 22, show Lavergne feels "the state is playing politics with (his) life and attempting to use the tide of public opinion to influence the judgment of (the court)." Lavergne also does not like that the media has access to his court filings. He says it causes "further damage" his ability to receive a fair trial.
In addition to wanting a gag order, Lavergne has also asked for a formal investigation of workers at the Angola State Penitentiary. Lavergne alleges they tampered with court documents that were sent to him. He says legal mail sent to him was opened before he ever received it. He further alleges that appeals documents attached to a ruling sent to him by Judge Herman Clause were missing from his packet.
Finally, Lavergne is asking for a host of other documents including:
- The documents missing from the aforementioned legal mail sent to him.
- April 2008 grand jury transcripts pertaining to the Lisa Pate case
- Copies of his conviction and sentence,
- The list of witnesses who testified in the Mickey Shunick and Lisa Pate
- Sentencing transcripts and pre-trial motions made by his court-appointed attorneys.
- The warrant allowing his ex-wife to record audio during a prison visit in 2005
- Copies of correspondence his ex-wife had with prosecutors and the Acadia Parish Sheriff's Office.
- The warrant authorizing the July 5 search on his truck, which led to the seizure of his iPhone.