Burners Left On Overnight Nearly Costs Lafayette Man His Life
A Lafayette man is fortunate to be alive after his home caught on fire this morning.
Monday night, Chadwick Thibodeaux turned on the burners on his stove to heat his house, at least three of them, according to fire investigators. He woke up Tuesday morning to smoke coming from his kitchen. He quickly escaped through a bedroom window. Investigators say the open flames likely ignited the cabinets of other combustible materials nearby, causing heavy fire and smoke damage to the home on 114 James Street.
There were no working smoke alarms inside. Fire officials remind you not to use stove burners for heating and to always have a working smoke alarm.