Cancellations, Closures As Police Urge Drivers To Avoid Roadways
Louisiana State Police today urged drivers to avoid unnecessary travel for most of the day today as Louisiana continues to experience more inclement winter weather.
State Police spokesperson Stephen Hammons says drivers can dial 511 for traffic updates from the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development, as *577 (*LSP) is for roadway emergencies only.
In addition to school closures across Acadiana, city offices, public facilities and scheduled meetings will be closed, canceled or postponed. KPEL will continue to update this listing as closures are announced.
Commissioner of Administration Kristy Nichols announced today that state government offices will be closed on Wednesday, January 29, in the following parishes across Louisiana where hazardous driving conditions and scattered power outages are forecast for the morning due to a mix of rain and sleet, as well as snow and ice accumulation:
Acadia, Allen, Ascension, Assumption, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Caldwell, Cameron, Catahoula, Concordia, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, LaFourche, LaSalle, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Orleans, Ouachita, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, Rapides, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Mary, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Tensas, Terrebonne, Vermillion, Vernon, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana
- 15th Judicial District Court: Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
Broussard City Council: Meeting scheduled for tomorrow is canceled. The next meeting will be on Feb. 11.
Crowley: Louisiana Rice Council and Louisiana Rice Growers meetings scheduled for Tuesday are canceled.
Evangeline Parish: Curfew Tuesday night 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Wednesday curfew will be determined within the next 36 hours.
Lafayette: State of emergency declared. All civil offices will be closed Tuesday.
- Allied Waste + Recycling Foundation of Acadiana: Waste pickup canceled Tuesday. Wednesday pickup will be assessed based on that day’s weather conditions. If pickup is canceled on Tuesday only, Tuesday-Friday customers will receive pickup one day late. If it’s canceled Tuesday and Wednesday, customers will receive pickup two days late.
- Homeless Connect Resource Fair: The Tuesday event will be rescheduled for spring.
- Lafayette City Court and Lafayette Parish 15th Judicial District Court
- Lafayette City-Parish Council: The meeting scheduled for Tuesday is rescheduled as a “special meeting” for Tuesday, Feb. 4, and will follow that day’s regularly scheduled meeting
- Lafayette Community Health Care Clinic and the Community Pharmacy: Closed Tuesday and Tuesday night. The pharmacy will close today (Monday) at 3 p.m.
- Lafayette General Medical Center: Cancer Center of Acadiana, Wellness at the Townhouse, LGMD physician offices will be closed Tuesday. All elective procedures will be rescheduled.
- Lafayette Parish School Board: A special meeting on insurance scheduled Tuesday has been postponed until Thursday, Jan. 30.
- Lafayette Transit System: Closed Tuesday.
- University Hospital & Clinics: Closed Tuesday and Wednesday. All elective procedures will be rescheduled.
- Lafayette Transit Services: Please be advised that Lafayette Transit services (daytime, paratransit, and Night Owl services) will remain suspended through Wednesday, January 29, 2014. Regular transit services are expected to resume on Thursday, January 30th at 6:15 am.
New Iberia: All civil offices will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
Rayne: City Hall will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
St. Landry Parish: State of emergency declared. Curfew in effect Tuesday and Wednesday nights from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Opelousas City Court: Closed Wednesday.
- Village of Palmetto: Town Hall closed Tuesday. Wednesday closure pending.
- Workforce Investment Board Administrative Office & Business Career Solution Centers: Closed Tuesday and Wednedsay.
St. Mary Parish: All civil offices will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Kaplan City Hall, City Court and City Marshal’s Office will reopen Thursday, Jan. 30.
- 15th Judicial District Court will reopen Thursday, Jan. 30.