Candle Left Unattended Leads To House Fire
It was a candle left burning that caused a house fire in the 1200 block of Southeast Evangeline Thruway this morning.
Lafayette Fire Department Spokesman Alton Trahan says firefighters were called out to the home at around 1:25 this morning.
The man who owns the home, Rufus Catalon, says that he had been gone from his house visiting a neighbor for about 15 minutes when the fire happened.
He says he did try to go into his house, but the flames were just to big.
Catalon was standing outside of his home when firefighters showed up to find that flames were coming out of the door and windows.
It only took firefighters about fifteen minutes to get the blaze under control, but the house did sustain heavy fire damage.
The unattended candle was in the living room.