Celebrities Who Have Run For Office
Happy Election Day, fellow Americans! It's great to be in a country where anyone can run for office. As long as you have the filing fee, you are free to throw your hat in for just about any public seat. And that is why we love America!
The list of celebrities who claim they are going to A) leave the country if their presidential choice does not get voted in, or B) run for the highest office themselves, is long. I mean, even rapper Kanye West claimed he was going to run for President in 2016. But how many celebrities actually run for public office? TV Cheatsheet has found several well known celebs who not only have run, but won, seats in their district or state. They are listed below, and here is my public service for the day: please go out and exercise your American right to vote for the candidate of your choice today!
- Waka Flocka Flame - the Atlanta rapper ran for President this year, on a 'Legalize Marijuana' platform.
- Ronald Reagan - the former actor is the 40th President, and also the only divorced man to run for the highest office
- Arnold Schwarzenegger - former world champion body builder and actor became the Governor of California in 2003
- Clint Eastwood - the actor and director was the mayor of Carmel-by-the-Sea in 1986, and served on the California State Park and Recreation Commission in 2001
- Clay Aiken - The season two 'American Idol' runner up ran for Congress in North Carolina in 2014
- Sonny Bono - the singer and actor was famously the mayor of Palm Springs, California from 1988 -1992
- Al Franken - the current junior Senator from Minnesota previously made a name for himself as a writer and actor on NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Fred Thompson - the 'Law and Order' actor was a Senator from Tennessee from 1994 - 2003, and later left the popular TV show to run for President in 2007