Chicken And Dumplings The Most Coveted Of All Mom’s Recipes [SURVEY]
It's true what they say, everything just tastes better a mama's house. I don't know if it's the pots, the pans, the smell of the house, the memories of growing up or a little bit of everything. But I could get up from a great meal at the finest restaurant and STILL get hungry when I walk into my mom's kitchen.
The funny thing is that my mom doesn't think she cooks particularly well. She likes to bake and always has a fresh cake to go on one of her dozens of collected cake plates. But, it was a shock when I was talking about something she cooks that I just LOVE. She kind of laughed it off like it was no big deal. Almost laughing at me for how much I love her chicken and dumplings. That's usually followed by some loose, un-written recipe. If I had a dollar for every time she has told me, "You could make that, it's easy...".
There was a time when the only way to get good dumplings was to make the dough. Roll them out and let them drive overnight. But, among 2017's many conveniences are Mary B's frozen dumplings (left) which are just as good as homemade to my discerning taste buds.
Apparently i'm not alone in my love for my mom's chicken and dumplings. I did an informal, unscientific, untested and possibly tainted survey about my colleagues' favorite foods that their mom makes or made. Maybe it's due to the fact that we are in the heart of the south, but most people who responded said it's all about the chicken and dumplings.
[SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM FOR MY MOM'S DUMPLING RECIPE - BUT WARNING - THEY WILL NOT BE AS GOOD AS HERS]
Here are some of the other popular "better when Mom makes it" dishes:
"Bread pudding bebe!" -Jude Walker, 97.3 The Dawg
"Homemade Fried Corn Tortilla Taco Shells" -Frank Malambri, TSM Sales
"Stuffed Bell Peppers of Chicken Kiev" -Michael.Scott, 97.3 The Dawg
"Homemade Rolls" -Tammy Hebert, TSM Sales
"Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding" -Mike Grimsley, GM/Market President
"Chicken and Okra Gumbo" -Phil Barnidge, TSM Sales
"Tomato Gravy Smothered Pork Chops" -Paul Farnham, TSM Sales
"Carrot Cake" -Sondra Morrow, TSM Sales
"Not my mom, but my nanny's rice dressing" -Digital, HOT 107.9
"Paneed veal with egg noodles and corn" -Debbie Ray, 99.9 KTDY
"Crab Meat Au Gratin" -Janet Theriot, TSM Superstar (Official Title)
Kim's Chicken and Dumplings
Medium Chicken or Hen
1 pack Mary B's Dumplings
1 can evaporated milk
1 stick butter
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot on Medium; place whole chicken and fill pot with water to cover it completely or at least 3/4 full
2. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Boil until chicken is just falling off the bones. Remove chicken and place on a plate to cool then remove all meat.
4. Then bring broth to a boil again.
5. Add Mary B's Dumplings that have been cut into thirds.
6. Once all dough is in the pot; cook additional 5 min; stirring; add 1 can of evaporated milk and 1 stick butter
7. Cook additional 5 min and stirring; cut the temp to low; cover; stirring as to stop sticking to the bottom of the pot and adding whole milk to thin out broth as needed.
8. Cook until dumplings are completely cooked. Serve in a bowl. Enjoy!