Child Left Home Alone In Lafayette, Fire Breaks Out
A 7-year-old boy survives a fire at a Lafayette home Thursday morning.
Lafayette Fire Department Spokesperson Alton Trahan says the fire started on a sofa on the third floor of an apartment at the Peppertree Apartments on Robley Drive. Trahan says the child was playing with a lighter and candle when the sofa caught fire. Fire officials say the fire eventually died out.
Trahan says the child, who was not injured, was left alone in the apartment while his mother ran errands. Lafayette Police Department and Child Welfare Services reported to the scene to assist. There's been no word on if the mother was arrested or charged with any crime.