DEVELOPING: Lafayette School Evacuated After Suspected Gas Leak
UPDATED: LPSS releases statement in regards to evacuation at Burke Elementary Friday morning due to a triggered carbon monoxide detector.
Students at Burke Elementary School have been given the all clear to return to class after they were evacuated as a precautionary measure this morning after an alarm sounded on a carbon monoxide meter in the cafeteria kitchen. Lafayette Parish School System maintenance personnel and the local fire department checked the cafeteria and found slightly elevated levels of carbon monoxide, but the levels were far below levels that pose a danger. One cafeteria worker was transported to the hospital as a precaution. No students were affected, and normal meal service will be provided.
An all clear was given and students are headed back to class at Burke Elementary in Lafayette. There were reports that an employee was taken to the hospital after a suspected gas leak. Students and staff at the school were evacuated after the possible leak according in the kitchen area of the school according to our our news partners at KATC.
Authorities say a carbon monoxide detector was triggered at the school and HAZMAT teams responded. Firefighters say no students were impacted and several employees were being checked out by first responders. Gas service to the school has been shut off.