Disaster Avoided In Fire At Uptown Loft Apartments
It could have been so much worse as a fire caused quite a scare at Uptown Loft Apartments on 519 South Pierce Street in Lafayette.
Lafayette firefighters responded to the incident around 4:00 p.m. and noticed light smoke coming from the room with the trash compactor. Fortunately, the sprinkler alarm was activated by the alarm monitoring company as firefighters were responding. The sprinkler suppressed the fire coming from a metal trash dumpster.
There was no fire damage to the building.
“The fire was likely caused by an improperly discarded smoking material in an occupant’s trash,” says Lafayette Firefighter spokesman Alton Trahan.
The fire was ruled an accident and no one was injured.