Donate School Supplies To CASA
Rob Kirkpatrick with Bernadette Lee.
CASA of Southwest Louisiana, or Court Appointed Special Advocates, is asking for people to donate needed school supplies for elementary and middle school children for the upcoming school year.
Across the state, there are 4,000 children in Louisiana's foster care system across the state, and there are hundreds in the Acadiana area.
Children that are abused or neglected are taken from their homes and placed in foster care homes. These children often leave with little or nothing with them including their school supplies.
Someone who becomes a CASA is that child's Court Appointed Special Advocate, and they speak for the child. You do not have to be a CASA to help the program. All you have to do is donate school Supplies.
Here is the list of what is needed for elementary and middle school students:
Package A - Total cost is about $35 for this whole package
- 2 Boxes of 24 Crayola crayons
- 1 Bottle of Glue - 4 oz
- 1 Pair of scissors - blunt or round tip
- 1 Pack washable markers - classic colors - 10 count
- 4 Poly (plastic) pocket folders with prongs
- 2 Packs multi-colored construction paper
- 1 Pack of pink erasers
- 1 Pack of post-it notes
Package B - Total cost is about $35 for this whole package
- 2 Yellow highlighters
- 2 Wide Ruled Marble composition books
- 1 Pack of glue sticks
- 1 Pack of Dry Erase markers
- 1 12 pack of #2 pencils
- 1 Zippered pencil pouch
- 1 3x5 ruled index cards
There are two drop off locations for the supplies. The sites are as follows:
- CASA of SoLA Office - 227 La Rue France, Lafayette, LA 70508, 337-268-5111, M-F 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- UBS Financial Services in River Ranch - 201 Settlers Trace Blvd, Lafayette, LA 70508, 337-593-3603.
Should there be leftover supplies, Communications Director of CASA of SoLA says they will donate the supplies to other organizations that might need them.