Dow Gains Slightly To End Bad Week: Acadiana Business Index
- Investors remain on edge regarding a lack of progress over what is known as the congressional super committee on deficit reduction. Budget cuts are set to be decided by Wednesday.
- Hewlett-Packard led the Dow higher, rising 2.6%, to 27.99.
- Shares of H.J. Heinz fell 3.3%, to 51.07. The ketchup maker reported fiscal second-quarter revenue that fell short of estimates.
- Clearwire plunged 21% to 1.47. The company is weighing whether to make a big debt payment that comes due in two weeks.
- Salesforce.com dropped 10%, to 113.43. The cloud-computing company indicated that current quarterly earnings might fall short.
- And, Gap's fiscal third-quarter earnings fell as the retailer's sales continued to slide and margins declined. The stock lost 2.6%, to 18.76.
- Crude oil closed at $97.41 a barrel.
- And Gold settled at $1,725 an ounce.