The remains of what's believed to be 73-year-old Floyd Mason were found inside the home on 795 Front Street in Krotz Springs.

Sgt. James Anderson with State Police says the fire happened at about 8:45 a.m. Monday morning. Fire investigators say they found a space heater in the living room where the fire is believed to have started.

The investigation revealed Mason was a double-amputee who used oxygen and reportedly smoked while using the oxygen. His son described him as being cold natured and said his father utilized electric space heaters for warmth. Investigators have not ruled out unsafe smoking practices and electrical malfunction as possible causes.

Investigators also say Mason was awake and was seen moving around before the fire started. His body was found near the exit door.