Elvis Week – The 40th Anniversary of Elvis Presley’s Death
People all around the world will be commemorating the 40th anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley on August 16th. Elvis Week activities will be held at Graceland, and around Memphis, Tennessee from Friday, August 11th through Saturday, August 19th. Some of the festivities are free, and some are ticket only, but it is a really special time for millions and millions of fans. Elvis is a beloved member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, and his music will live on forever!
Some of the official Elvis Week events include:
- Elvis Fan Reunion
- Elvis Week Dance Party
- 35th annual Elvis Week 5K Run
- Elvis Presley Fan Club President’s Event
- The Auction at Graceland
- The Gospel Music of Elvis Presley Celebration Concert
- George Klein’s Elvis Memphis Mafia Reunion
- Songwriters Showcase, which includes Mac Davis
- George Klein’s Elvis Memorial Service
- Conversations on Elvis: Elvis in the Movies
- Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest and Showcase
- Candlelight Vigil
Tickets for these events are available through Graceland Reservations at 800-238-2000 or 901-332-3322 or online at Graceland.com.
The annual Candlelight Vigil that takes place at Graceland is amazing. It always begins on the evening of August 15, and goes way into the night until August 16th rolls around. Fans make the trek up the long driveway to the Meditation Garden to pay their respects at the last resting place of Elvis. If you can’t be in Memphis, you can watch it live here beginning at 7:55 pm CST.