EMERGENCY: Louisiana Prepares For Major Red River Flooding
Multiple state agencies are working diligently this weekend to ramp up the state's flood response efforts in preparation for incoming flood waters from the Red River.
In a statement outlining the state's emergency preparedness efforts from the governor's office, Bobby Jindal lists the following state agencies that have been preparing for the Red River's floodwaters that are expected to be the highest seen in seven decades.
- Louisiana Army National Guard
- Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
- Louisiana State Police
- Department of Health and Hospitals
- Army Corps of Engineers
- Department of Transportation and Development
- Department of Natural Resources
- Department of Wildlife and Fisheries
- American Red Cross
- The Louisiana Army National Guard has repositioned more than 255,000 sandbags from state warehouses to six parishes in order to support parish flood fighting preparations. In addition, they moved three sandbag filling machines in the area, with an additional three tomorrow, which are capable of filling 400-500 sandbags per hour.
- By Friday afternoon, guardsmen hauled approximately 200,000 bottles of water to Northwest Louisiana to back up the drinking water supply.
- The Louisiana Army National Guard has approximately 20 high-water vehicles and 13 boats positioned in the vicinity of Caddo and Bossier Parishes that can quickly respond for integrated search and rescue missions.
Jindal stressed that although Caddo and Bossier Parishes will be some of the first to be affected, the flood waters will reach areas near Natchitoches and Rapides Parishes by next week.
"We’ve provided assets to help ensure they are prepared," Jindal said. "We stand ready to provide more support and emergency response resources as this event continues.”
In working with the Red Cross, the state has already established three locations to be designated as shelters for those temporarily displaced by the flood. Those locations will include:
- Elm Grove Elementary in Elm Grove
- Southern University Gym in Shreveport
- LSU-Shreveport Red River Radio Building near the main entrance of campus.