Energy Stocks Do Well On The Markets – Acadiana Business Index
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 19 points to 15,335 after being up by as many as 37 points in earlier action. The S&P 500 shed 1 point to 1666 and the NASDAQ gave up over 2 points, bringing the index to 3496. Sector action on the S&P was mixed with energy stocks leading to the upside.
- Shares of Apache were up 3.4% to $84.08 as crude oil prices advanced 0.7% to $96.72 per barrel.
- On the earnings front, shares of Campbell’s Soup fell 3.9% to $45.78 despite posting better than expected earnings and revenues in the quarter. Also among earnings, JA Solar rallied 70.4% to $9.55 following their quarterly profit tally. In other news, smartphone display supplier Universal Display rose 2.4% to $31.08 on reports that Apple was testing displays for an iWatch device.
- Composite volume on the NYSE was 3.2 billion shares with advancers besting decliners by a 4-3 margin. The NASDAQ was 5-4 positive on issues.
- Turning to fixed income markets, Treasuries were lower along the curve. The benchmark 10-year note was down 5/32 to yield 1.96% and the 30-year bond gave up 3/16 of a point to yield 3.18%.
For a complete economic report, click Ken's Market Report.