Lafayette Parish residents who were affected by the recent floods may now be eligible for assistance from FEMA. Anyone who was impacted by flooding should register with FEMA, including individuals who are already covered by a flood insurance policy.

Lafayette Consolidated Government (LCG) was notified on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 9 a.m. that Lafayette Parish was included in the federal disaster declaration. This federal declaration for the parish triggered the opening of the FEMA individual assistance program for affected residents.

All affected individuals, regardless if they are covered by flood insurance, should register damage by one of the following methods:

LCG is working with federal officials to establish a local FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) for individuals to register in person for federal assistance, with details forthcoming on the location and hours of operation. Flood victims need not visit the DRC if they are able to register with FEMA online or by phone. Individuals who registered before Lafayette Parish was included in the official declaration need not register again. Individuals who made damage claims with the local office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (HSEP) must register directly with FEMA to be eligible for any federal assistance. Making a claim with the Lafayette HSEP does not qualify individuals to receive FEMA assistance.

It may be safe for individuals to begin some demolition, including removing damaged sheetrock and insulation. However, before any repair work begins, such as replacement of sheetrock, the Codes Divisionmust be contacted for permitting and inspection as necessary. (See contact information for the Codes Division below.)

As cleanup efforts continue, residents, businesses, and property owners are reminded to purchase the proper permits for flood damage repair and reconstruction. In most cases a minimal residential repair permit is all that is required and can be obtained at the Clifton Chenier Center at 220 W. Willow St., Bld. B. Substantially damaged homes will be subject to additional requirements and permitting.

Citizens who have experienced flood damage should follow the tips below to document the loss to property, as well as tips to rebuild:

  • If you have flood insurance, contact your insurance company for guidance on filing a claim
  • Anyone impacted by flooding should register with FEMA at 800-621-FEMA (800-621-3362)
  • Be prepared to provide the name of property owner, address of damaged property, if the property is covered by flood insurance, the amount of water in the building and approximate cost to repair to pre-flood condition.
  • Take photos of all damage to property prior to repairs or cleanup
  • Call the LCG Codes Division at 337-291-8461 for inspection prior to replacing any sheetrock or wall covering or with any questions.
  • Contact the LCG Codes Division at 337-291-8461 to obtain permits prior to repair or reconstruction.
  • Save all receipts for work done and all materials purchased
  • Use only state licensed and registered contractors for any repairs

For more information on FEMA visit

For more information on LCG’s Codes Division visit