Fire Claims Acadiana Homes
A family of nine without a home after a fire burns it down.
Investigators say it happened Saturday morning on Moss Street. One of the five children was sleeping on a couch when she woke up to the smell of smoke and the couch starting to catch fire. The girl's father tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, but the family was forced to leave the home.
Once fire fighters got to the scene, they were able to extinguish the blaze in fifteen minutes. The cause of the fire remains under investigation, but the family says they were using a space heater in the area where the fire started.
Fire investigators are looking into a blaze that destroyed a Jeanerette. Firefighters say flames erupted at the residence as a result of the use of space heaters. No injuries were reported.