Fire Damages Home In Lafayette
A house on 108 Clifford Street caught fire Friday morning, sustaining heavy fire damage to the front of the home, especially the front bedroom.
Jason Williams, who Lafayette Fire officials say was occupying the home for his friend the owner, says he had left the house and came back to a small fire on the floor. He told them that he tried to put out the fire, but was unsuccessful. By the time firefighters arrived on the scene, the flames were coming out from the front window.
Fire investigators say the fire most likely started by an open flame, perhaps a candle. Spokesman Alton Trahan with the Lafayette Fire Department says, with no electricity, the occupant was either using the open flame for heating or lightning. Fire officials are ruling the incident as accidental.
One firefighter did sustained minor burns to his hand. He's been treated at a local hospital and has been released.