Fireplace Sparks Fire At Lafayette Home
LAFAYETTE, La. (KPEL) -- A Lafayette home received some damage Thursday night following a fire that started in the fireplace stack above the house's roof.
According to Lafayette fire investigator Alton Trahan, firefighters from Lafayette, Duson, Milton, and Scott were called out to the home on Wildflower Lane at 6:47 p.m. Thursday.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly, Trahan said. The fireplace stack and the areas in the attic near the fireplace sustained fire damage, while the inside of the house received some minor water damage, Trahan said.
The homeowner told investigators she was using the fireplace at the time the fire broke out, Trahan said. It's believed heat or a spark from the fireplace ignited the fire, and the incident is being treated as an accident, Trahan said.