Fireworks Safety Tips for Pet Owners
More pets are lost on the 4th of July than any other time of year, mainly due to Fireworks. We've all seen it - dogs and cats who get completely freaked out when the M-80's and firecrackers go off, sometimes days in advance of the actual holiday. Our friends at Pet Finders have some safety tips for pet owners, and they are really helpful to keep a peaceful household this Independence Day!
- Be sure your pet is wearing an up to date tag with pertinent info, in case they run away or jump the fence
- Take a current photo of your pet, just in case
- Exercise your pet early in the day, before parties begin
- During cookouts, ask guests to play with your animals away from the flames
- Keep charcoal, glow sticks, firecrackers, and sparklers away from curious pets
- Keep dog trats close by, so that guests can give them to your pet, and hopefully calm him down
- Leave your dog at home with a frozen stuffed treat during the fireworks
- If your dog is afraid of loud music, play soothing tunes to (hopefully) cover up the sound of the fireworks
Whatever you and your family are doing to celebrate, make sure that your furry friends won't be afraid of the party! Happy 4th of July, ya'll!