“Gremlins” Gang Members Arrested In Multi-Parish Drug & Violence Investigation
Today's press conference has been at least a year in the making but police agencies across Acadiana were able to announce the results of a lot of hard investigative work.
Crime has become such a major issue in Abbeville over the years and today's press conferences marks state and local agencies' efforts in taking major steps in reducing it.
Ten members of the "Gremlins" gang are now behind bars as Louisiana State Police have been teaming with local agencies across Acadia, Lafayette, St. Martin and Vermilion Parishes to bust these gang members for alleged narcotics and violent crimes including homicide, intimidation of witnesses and widespread distribution of of narcotics.
“The individuals identified through this investigation have chosen to endanger public safety through violence and the distribution of illegal narcotics into our neighborhoods,” stated Colonel Mike Edmonson, State Police Superintendent. “Investigative cooperation between our local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies has once again produced results towards ensuring the safety of our citizens and removing the criminal element from our communities.”
Investigators found the gang members were not only operating in the City of Abbeville, but throughout the four Acadiana area parishes mentioned above.
The local agencies State Police have been working with during this investigation - the Abbeville Police Department, Vermilion Parish Sheriff’s Office, Vermilion Narcotics Task Force, Vermilion Homicide Task Force, Abbeville City Marshal’s Office, Lafayette Police Department, Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office, Acadia Parish Sheriff’s Office, Carencro Police Department, St. Martin Sheriff’s Office, and Kaplan Police Department - helped Troopers collect evidence and intelligence related to the criminal gang activities.
Because of all the investigating, the ten gang members are now behind bars and seven additional members have arrest warrants out on them. The indictments handed down by a Vermilion Parish Grand Jury include charges of Racketeering, Conspiracy to Commit Racketeering and Engaging in a Criminal Street Gang which can carry up to 50 years in prison if convicted.
The Arrested Gang Members
- 17-year-old Xavier Dyson of Abbeville
- 19-year-old Kavan Broussard of Abbeville
- 19-year-old Gene Williams III of Abbeville
- 20-year-old Kendall Breaux of Lafayette
- 21-year-old Gregory Bessard of Abbeville
- 21-year-old Andrew Granger of Abbeville
- 23-year-old Roland Bernard of Abbeville
- 23-year-old Stephen Walker of Abbeville
- 35-year-old Wesley Laviolette of Abbeville
- 41-year-old Nakia Zenon of Abbeville
The Still At-Large Gang Members
- 18-year-old Darren Carter of Abbeville
- 20-year-old Kirkland Demouchet of Abbeville
- 21-year-old Aaron Carter of Abbeville
- 21-year-old Cody Guidry of Abbeville
- 25-year-old Travis Cooper of Abbeville
- 29-year-old Jonathan Landry of Abbeville
- 37-year-old Jerran Diggs of Abbeville