Heavy Rains Causing Flooding, Road Closures Throughout Acadiana
Our news partner KATC has reported the following areas have been affected by flooding. Motorists are urged to drive cautiously or avoid these areas altogether.
The National Safety Commission urges drivers to never drive into a flooded roadway. The NSC Web site states:
- Less than an inch of water can cause a driver to lose control.
- As little as six inches of rushing water has enough force to push your car off the road.
- Your car can float in as little as two feet of water and you could be washed away into a flooded stream or river.
St. Martin Parish: Authorities have closed the intersection of La. 182 (Old Spanish Trail) at La. 92 (Smede Hwy.) in Cade due to flooding.
Iberia Parish: Iberia Parish Sheriff's Office is reporting the following areas have large amounts of standing water due to excessive rainfall. The roadways may not be closed, but authorities are advising that motorist avoid the areas until waters recede.
- Sandoz Road and N. Freetown Road
- 3900 Romero Road
- Chastant Road
- N Fremin Road and Coteau Road
- Plantation Village Trailer Park
- Estis Road (North of Hwy 90)
Lafayette Parish: A downed tree brought down several power lines at Third Street and D Street in Duson. The intersection was reopened Saturday morning.
St. Mary Parish: Heavy rains caused flooding throughut areas of Morgan City Friday. Saturday rains may exasperate the the wet and dangerous conditions on city's roadways.