Help Out Your Local Food Banks This Holiday Season With These Simple Items
The holidays are approaching and that means our local food banks are going to be needing your help.
Unfortunately, there are many in the Acadiana community that go without food. The need for food grows tremendously as the holidays near each and every year. The food banks in our area are true blessings for the hungry, but they cannot do what they do without your help.
This year, if you are thinking about giving back to the community by way of food banks, here are a some items they might just be in need of more than anything:
- Canned veggies (low-sodium kind are the best)
- Rice and Beans
- Cereal and Oatmeal
- Canned soup
- Pasta (whole grain is best)
- Mixed nuts (they can be expensive, so not many people donate them)
- Juice boxes (especially for the kids)
- Canned tuna, canned chicken, and canned salmon
- Cooking oil (olive and canola)
- Holidays foods (stove top stuffing, cranberry sauce, and canned yams)
Many families do not have the luxury of having a feast for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am very fortunate to be able to celebrate with my family and a grand meal as I am sure many of you are as well.
So in this season of giving, donate to your local food banks. Anything you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Here are just a few of our local food banks:
- Second Harvest
- United Christian Outreach
- Crowley Christian Care
- Shepherd's Inn Outreach Church
- Icons Food Bank
You can find a full list of food banks here.