While the people who live in the home at 204 Matthieu Street were able to make it out  of the home, they did lose two puppies.

Lafayette Fire Department Spokesman Alton Trahan says the home was engulfed in flames when firefighters got to the home.

The fire started on a mattress, and while the eight family members tried to put the blaze out, one person received a minor injury, and the home was destroyed.

204 Matthieu Street House Fire, photo courtesy of the Lafayette Fire Department

While the occupants of the home tried to get the mattress out of the home, they effort was fruitless.

The reason the mattress caught on fire has yet to be determined.