Is Peanut Butter Dangerous To Dogs?
I came across a warning about peanut butter being given to dogs as a treat, so I read the article to see if it is dangerous to dogs.
I frequently give my dogs peanut butter as a treat, or to get them to take their meds, or just to smear it on their palate and watch them lick the roof of their mouths for minutes at a time.
Most dogs love peanut butter. As a matter of fact, Tucker, as well trained as she was, would pay no mind to me if there was peanut butter available! It took precedence over anything else in the room!
Now, to answer the question "Is peanut butter dangerous to dogs"? It depends: most peanut butter brands are good for dogs, in moderation. Too much peanut butter can lead to obesity and/or other health problems, and ANY peanut butter sweetened with Xylitol IS dangerous to dogs!
Some companies are now putting Xylitol in their product as a substitute sweetener.
Xylitol is great for humans (less tooth decay, good for (most) diabetics), but EXTREMELY TOXIC to dogs.
According to the Preventive Vet website:
Ingestion of as little as 0.1 gram of xylitol per kilogram of body weight can cause a rapid and dangerous drop in a dog’s blood sugar (a condition called “hypoglycemia”). - Preventive Vet website
The website goes on to say that slightly larger quantities can lead to severe, often fatal, liver damage.
Preventive Vet goes on to list 5 of the known brands of peanut butter that contain Xylitol.
Check your pantries and always check the labels before giving your dogs treats!