Jeanerette Man Arrested After Speeding Away From Deputies
What started out as a routine traffic stop ended in the arrest of a Jeanerette man.
St. Mary Parish deputies with the Narcotics Division saw a man, 25-year-old Bernard Charles Jr., fail to use his turn signal. Deputies tried to pull Charles over.
Charles sped away from police, they gave chase, and Charles drove his car through someone's yard, leaving damage.
Charles later abandoned his car, took off on foot, and was finally tracked down.
Deputies say the Charles resisted arrest.
Deputies also say they found an open container of alcohol, drug paraphernalia, crack and multiple bags of marijuana when they searched his car.
Charles is facing the following charges:
- Failure to use turn signal
- No driver’s license
- Reckless operation of a motor vehicle
- Criminal damage to property
- Flight from an officer
- Resisting an officer
- Possession of marijuana with intent to distribute
- Possession of crack cocaine
- Open container
- Possession of drug paraphernalia