Lafayette Drive-Thru Sustains Moderate Fire Damage
Lafayette firefighters determined overheated grease was the cause of fire that caused moderate damage and sent one fast-food employee to the hospital.
Firefighters responded to a kitchen fire at the Sonic at 616 Pinhook Rd. this morning at approximately 6:30 a.m. Upon their arrival they found heavy smoke and intense heat engulfed the kitchen. Once the area was ventilated, emergency personnel found a smoldering fire coming from the restaurant's deep fryers.
One of the two employees in the kitchen at the time sustained minor burns on his hand and sustained minor smoke inhalation as he was attempting to extinguish the fire.
The fire originated in one of the deep fryers in the kitchen. The grease overheated and ignited in the fryer which spread to adjacent areas. The cause of the fire was determined to be an accident.