Lafayette Home Heavily Damaged By Fire
A Lafayette home on Chester Street was heavily damaged during a fire that appears to have started in the laundry room.
When firefighters arrived, the fire had spread from the laundry room to the kitchen.
Though the fire was put out within 15 minutes, the home still sustained heavy fire and smoke damage, according to Lafayette Fire Department spokesperson Alton Trahan.
Seven people were inside the home at the time, but a 21-year-old member of the family woke up to the smell of smoke and was able to get everyone out safely. He suffered minor injuries after breaking a window while trying to get out, Trahan said.
It's believed the fire started in the dryer, and it has been ruled an accident.