Louisiana Department Of Wildlife And Fisheries Launches Shrimp Refrigeration Cost Sharing Program
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries has started a new program for a shrimp refrigeration cost sharing program for shrimp industry members.
DWF says it is their newest effort to support the seafood industry with equipment upgrades.
Owners of shrimping vessels, docks and processing facilities will have the chance to qualify for 50 percent of any authorized refrigeration equipments costs, up to the amount of $30,000.
Any wholesaler or retailer that wants to participate in the program has to be enrolled in the Louisiana Wild Seafood Certification Program. LWSCP is a voluntary program for seafood with the goal of establishing a more professional seafood industry with the focus on better handling and higher quality or products.
Some examples of eligible equipment include:
- Seawater chilling systems
- Ice makers-limited to land based facilities only
- Generators-tied to a refrigeration system
- Cooler/freezer boxes and associated insulated vessels
- Brine freezers
- Plate freezers and other freezer types
- Combined commercial refrigeration units
- Condensers and coils of split refrigeration systems,
- Refrigeration supplies
- Electrical supplies tied to a refrigeration system
- Other equipment and supplies that can be verified as being associated with shrimp refrigeration
All equipment will need to evaluated to make sure it meets eligibility requirements.
New equipment and equipment currently being used and that was purchased beginning January 1, 2010 will be eligible for reimbursement provided it meets program requirements.
If you're planning to install new equipment it must be approved before you buy it. Reimbursement for labor costs for professional installation of equipment is limited to 15% of the total cost of equipment, not to exceed $4,500.
How do you apply? Download a copy of the application packet at the following this link.
You can also call LDWF at 225-765-3980 or toll-free 855-262-1764.