LPSS Changes Students’ Grading Standards
Parents whose students attend Lafayette Parish public schools should be aware that the Lafayette School district is making changes in its grading policy to better align it with Louisiana Department of Education standards.
Academic standards changed under the district's Pupil Progression Plan are said to better define what students need to learn in seven subjects (English language arts, math, science, social studies, foreign languages, physical education and health) that are required to progress to the next grade.
According to the state education department's Web site, "Students who learn the knowledge and skills defined by academic standards, year after year, are on track to graduate from high school on time and ready to enter college or the workforce."
Also changing is that 40 percent of a student's grade will come from formative assessments while the remaining 60 percent will come from summative assessments during any grading period.
Parents who have any questions about the standards-based grading, the Pupil Progression Plan are invited to visit the school district's Instructional Services Web page.
Also, if a parent wishes to seek more information regarding the child's grade, the school system encourages parents to contact their child's teacher to schedule a conference.