Memorial Ceremony To Be Held Saturday For Fallen Firefighters
The public is invited to attend as firefighters from across Louisiana will gather this Saturday, April 11 to honor fallen firefighters.
Louisiana State Fire Marshal Butch Brown says the ceremony will be held at the Office of State Fire Marshal which is at 8181 Independence Boulevard in Baton Rouge.
The annual event will start at 11:00 a.m., and will feature Browning along with Louisiana Walk of Honor Foundation President V.J. Bella.
The following firefighters will be honored for making the ultimate sacrifice:
- Clyde Ray Farmer, Caddo Parish Fire Dist. #8 April 23, 2013
- John Flanagan, New Orleans Fire Dept. February 20, 1932
- Steven Anthony Hester, New Orleans Fire Dept. August 1, 2010
- Patrick Hogan, New Orleans Fire Dept. April 26, 1931
- Vincent Jennaro, New Iberia Fire Dept. October 4, 1912
- Chief Billy Glen Norris, Jr., Lecompte VFD July 21, 2014
- Robert Bruce Thomas, Bienville Parish Fire Dist. #7 July 1, 2014
At this year's event, organizers will also unveil a new monument built to honor industrial firefighters who battle fires at chemical plants in Louisiana.
There are 106 names on the memorial, and two are firefighters who died while fighting fires at chemical plants.
Butch Browning says,
"Whether it's municipal, wild land, or industrial firefighters, these men and women selflessly give of themselves every day to protect the citizens of this great state. We owe a great deal to them. Let us never forget."
The public is invited to attend the ceremony.
More information on the Louisiana Fallen Firefighter's Memorial can be found at the State Fire Marshal's website.