Man shot on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, dies at hospital

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans police say a fistfight outside a French Quarter bar turned deadly when someone pulled a gun and shot a 26-year-old New Orleans man.

His name was not immediately released because authorities are trying to reach his family.

Spokesman Garry Flot says surveillance video outside the Prohibition Bar on Bourbon Street shows one man punching the victim, and another pulling a gun and shooting him early Saturday.

He says investigators are trying to learn what touched off the fight. He says they're interviewing witnesses and getting more video.

A news release says officers patrolling the Quarter were on the scene within seconds of the gunfire.


New Orleans police: Standoff over as suspect surrenders

Also in New Orleans, police say a mentally ill man suspected of shooting his neighbor before barricading himself in his apartment has surrendered.

Public Information Officer Garry Flot said in a statement Friday that 34-year-old Lashawn Dillon surrendered to police after negotiations with authorities.

The SWAT team had been called earlier to the apartment in the eastern part of New Orleans after Dillon barricaded himself inside.

The 63-year-old victim, who'd been shot in the back, was taken to the hospital in stable condition.

Shaniese Dyer lives in the apartment building where the shooting happened. She told The Times-Picayune that she saw the victim lying on the ground before another neighbor pulled him inside an apartment.

Photos from the newspaper showed members of the SWAT team taking up positions outside the apartments.


Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.