Nine People Arrested Following Undercover Online Operation
The Louisiana State Police Special Victims Unit has arrested nine people from Lafayette Parish for charges ranging from computer aided solicitation of a minor to prostitution.
Officers say the different arrests all stem from an undercover operation that happened this past weekend that was focused on human sex trafficking including the online solicitation of juveniles.
State Police detectives say they were assisted in their investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigations, Homeland Security and Lafayette Metro Narcotics.
Between Friday, February 28 and Saturday, March 1, detectives conducted an operation in the Lafayette area aimed at combating the sexual exploitation of children, prostitution and human trafficking.
Detectives worked in various undercover ways through online websites, and they were able to identify nine people who requested to meet with both adults and children for sex.
In all the cases, detectives say the suspects offered money in exchange for sex to the undercover agents.
The following arrests were made on February 28:
- Shante Monique McClain, Oklahoma City, OK, 23 years old, Prostitution
- Fallon L. Childress, Lafayette, 28 years old, Prostitution
- Desrelle Lastrapes, Lafayette, 23 years old, Prostitution and a narcotics warrant from Texas
- Jody Lee, Lafayette, 28 years old, Prostitution
- Charlotte Berthelot, Lafayette, 37 years old, Prostitution
- Carl F. White, Jr., Lafayette, 32 years old, Promoting Prostitution
- Joseph J. Ventress, Lafayette, 26 years old, Pandering; Possession with the intent to distribute Crack Cocaine
Two more arrests were made in the case on March 1:
- Stewart Michael Brown, Lafayette, 29 years old, Computer Aided Solicitation of a Minor; Indecent Behavior with a Juvenile; Prostitution
- Liwei Zhao, Lafayette, 24 years old, Computer Aided Solicitation of a Minor; Prostitution
Louisiana State Police say they will continue their efforts to fight these types of crimes. Anyone with information about the trafficking of children for sexual reasons should call State Police at 337-262-3341.