Ways Social Media Can Get You Fired
We sometimes get lulled into thinking that posting on social media is OK just because we can. Not always true. Not even close. Because guess what? Your supervisors are on Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram too. Or someone they knows is. So, please, take my advice on this - don't get drunk and start trashing your boss on Twitter. Because by the time you sober up you'll be on your way out the door, resume in hand.
The Social Skinny has nine ways that social media can get you fired, and here are the things that you just don't want to do. Pay attention, class!
- Don't put your settings on 'public', ever
- Don't post photos or other non work related shenanigans to social media while you are on the clock
- Don't talk about your bosses, co workers, workplace conditions or corporate office
- Don't be sarcastic, or flip, when it comes to your office, boss, or customers. Not everyone will 'get' that you are trying to be funny
- Don't be creepy
- Don't be racist, homophobic, or prejudiced about anything. And we mean anything
- Do not 'like' pages that go against your company's policies or beliefs
- Think twice before you 'check in' some place during work hours. Especially if you called in sick.
- Do not spend all of your time at work on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Snapchat