NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A New Orleans City Councilman says he will plead guilty to a federal criminal charge involving the misuse of federal money intended to help a nonprofit organization after Hurricane Katrina.

Jon Johnson said in a statement released by his attorney Wednesday that he made the decision after meeting with federal officials. He also said he will resign from the council.

His statement came moments after a court filing showed that he had been charged with conspiracy to commit theft of government funds and to submit false documents.

The 63-year-old Johnson is accused of diverting money intended for the Ninth Ward Housing Development Corp. for personal use, including expenses for his failed 2007 campaign for a seat in the Louisiana Senate.