Freezing rain and sleet have been falling for hours now in Louisiana causing closures of all overpasses in Acadiana along with multiple road closures across the state.

The weather continues to move to the south and east, and there are hazardous driving conditions throughout the state.

State Police Spokesman from Troop I Stephen Hammons says if you don't have to go somewhere today, then it is better to stay off of the roads.

State officials remind drivers that these kinds of driving conditions are dangerous to drivers who are not used to ice covered roadways.

The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development are staged in problem areas salting and spreading sand on bridges, overpasses, and roadways where needed.

If you have to go out today, DOTD and Louisiana State Police remind you to make sure you know the current road conditions for where you will be traveling.  They also offer this advice:

  • Check vehicle fluids (anti-freeze), tire pressure, battery windshield wipers, etc.
  • Reduce speed
  • Allow extra time to reach your destination
  • Allow extra space between vehicles
  • Do not drive using cruise control in icy conditions
  • Anticipate stops (such as stop signs and traffic signals) and brake gently while stopping
  • If you encounter a skid, do not panic, take your foot off the accelerator, and steer into the skid till you regain control
  • Use low beam headlights if it is raining/sleeting
  • Ensure all vehicle occupants are properly restrained

If you have a problem with your car, stay in your vehicle.  Freezing temperatures can be life-threatening.

State Police suggest you have a survival kit, and it should include:

  • emergency first aid kit
  • blankets
  • jumper cables
  • high-energy or dehydrated foods
  • flashlight with extra batteries
  • extra (charged) cell phone battery
  • emergency flares
  • bottled water

If you experience difficulties or witness hazardous situations while on the highway, notify your local State Police Troop office by dialing *LSP (*577) from your cell phone or contact your local law enforcement agency.