Successful People Do These Things, and You Don’t
The older I get the more I realize that multitasking is not the way to go in life. I can’t do three things at the same time, and do them well. There. I’ve said it.
Forbes knows a thing or two about being successful, and so when I saw a story they did for their magazine called ’15 Surprising Things Productive People Do Differently’, I wanted to not only see what they were, but share them, as well. This is important stuff, and I’m so glad I got some insight into how I can use my time more wisely.(So that I can have more fun, let’s be honest!) Some of my favorite points are below, and I love them. Hope you do too.
- Focus on minutes, not hours – In radio our life is measured in :30 or :60 increments, so I totally agree with this one!
- Focus on only one thing – Remember what I said about multi tasking? Here’s proof it doesn’t work
- Don’t use ‘to do’ lists – they suggest putting everything on a calendar, in 15 minute increments. Not sure if I can let go of my to do lists just yet, though
- Make it home for dinner – stick to your schedule, but allot time for things other than your job. Work is not everything
- Always use a notebook – writing everything down frees your mind
- Don’t check their email all day – schedule several times a day to do this, and you won’t be bogged down all day every day. We all know how quickly email can get out of hand
- Avoid meetings when they can – remember, you only have 1,440 minutes in each day, so use them wisely. People are late, get off topic, and they always run too long
- They say ‘no’ to just about everything – this is something I definitely need to work on
- Delegate – really productive people are not micro managers and don’t have control issues. Get some help, so that it can get done.