Teen Killed In Lafayette Fire, Father Treated For Severe Burns
A 13-year-old boy is dead following a Christmas Eve house fire on Martin Luther King Drive.
Lafayette Fire Department investigator Alton Trahan said while firefighters were on their way to the home, they were told there may a person still inside.
Heavy flames and smoke were venting from the building when first responders arrived, Trahan said, and a person on the scene told them the teenager was still in the home.
The teen, Brandon Gobert, did not survive.
Trahan said the teen's father, Milton Gobert, was with his son when the fire started and made several attempts to get him out of the house but couldn't do so because of the intense heat and smoke. He was taken to a local hospital and treated for severe burns and smoke inhalation.
Trahan said it appears the fire started in the kitchen, where the family was evidently using the stove to heat the home.