Two People Escape Early Morning House Fire In Lafayette
A Lafayette Fire Department spokesman says two people who live at a home at 925 St. Charles Street are safe today after a fire destroyed the homes' kitchen.
Spokesman Alton Trahan says Troy Joiner awoke to some smoke in his bedroom. When he opened the bedroom door, he saw thick smoke coming from the kitchen.
Joiner and the other person in the home were able to get out safely.
Investigators determined a water heater next to the kitchen caught fire, and ruined the kitchen. The fire was ruled accidental after investigators says the heater malfunctioned.
The home also has heavy smoke damage.
The home did not have working smoke detectors, and Trahan encourages everyone to have working smoke detectors in their homes.