Voters To Decide On Water District Tax
DONALDSONVILLE, La. (AP) — Voters served by the Bayou Lafourche Freshwater District will decide Dec. 8 on a property tax proposal that would provide continued funding for the district.
Bayou Lafourche flows for more than 105 miles from Donaldsonville in Ascension Parish to the Gulf of Mexico at Port Fourchon in Lafourche Parish.
District board chairman Hugh Caffery tells The Advocate (http://bit.ly/YnrDnx ) that the district provides drinking water for more than 300,000 people.
The proposed 20-year, 2.11-mill property tax renewal would provide the district with about $2.1 million a year.
Water district director Archie Chaisson Jr. said the tax revenue makes up about 80 percent of the district's annual budget; the remaining 20 percent comes from user fees.
Information from: The Advocate, http://theadvocate.com