I've been watching KATC's extended coverage of this historic flooding. Marcelle & Jim asked a local insurance agent what options, if any, people with no flood insurance have.

Here's what you do.

Document everything.

Contact your homeowner's insurance carrier.

File a "No Record Claim." They'll send you a declination letter, stating you're not covered.

Retain that letter. Include a copy with your paperwork when you file for federal assistance.

Don't wait for Acadiana to be added to the federal disaster area list. Register with local & federal officials now.

Click here for contact information.

The agent also recommends, if your car has been flooded, don't try to start it. Have it towed to a repair shop.