What To Do If You Win The Powerball
There is a lot of buzz around our office about the Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots this week. We could be millionaires! We can buy a house in Hawaii! We can quit our jobs! But we all know the chances of doing that are pretty slim, although one person I know won $150,000 from the Louisiana Lottery.
HuffPost has some great suggestions about what to do if you actually win a big jackpot. Hopefully, I will be looking at these a little bit closer if I win tonight! Good luck, y'all!
- Don't tell anyone that you won. Or if you have to, make it as few people as possible
- Calm down, and don't make any quick decisions about what to do with the money. You don't actually have to cash your ticket in today.
- Get a financial adviser. Right now.
- Make sure you get the annuity, or annual payments, instead of a lump sum. I have to disagree with this one, because some states will not allow your heirs to inherit the balance of your winnings if you pass away before it's paid off. Check with your state Lottery officials if you win!
- Give back to your community! Now is your chance to do something good for yourself and society